Auction Houses and Famous Jewels: AGL is approached on a regular basis to perform testing on notable, unique and historic gems and jewelry articles. A couple of truly exceptional opportunities include:
- The Elizabeth Taylor jewels: Christies – December 2011
- The Atocha Gold and Emerald ornament: Sotheby’s – February 2013
- BARRON’S: A false promise – How a gem expert wound up with a fake, and what you can learn from her experience.
- FINANCIAL TIMES, 27 March 2014: Certification industry provides reassurance on coloured gems. Valuation game - The industry’s go-to players. An honorable mention as one of the colored stone and jewelry industry’s most important laboratories.
Christopher Smith Awards:
- Christopher P. Smith recognized as one of the gemstone and jewelry industry’s top 50 most influential persons
- Christopher P. Smith awarded an honorary FGA by the British Gemmological Association
- CIBJO, ICA, GILC, JVC, AGTA recognize the term “composite” for the use of disclosing the lead-glass treated rubies, a product otherwise known as Composite Ruby
Excursions to important gem-producing localities: As part of our continuing efforts to remain at the forefront of gemology, AGL travels to the world’s most important gem-producing regions. There is an endless pursuit to study new gem materials, gemstone treatments and gem deposits.
- Tanzania: The Merilani tanzanite deposits
- Mozambique: The Montepuez ruby deposits
- Zambia: The Kagem emerald deposit
- Burma: The Mogok valley
Presentations given at international conferences: AGL is regularly asked to participate in gemological conferences held around the world.
- Accredited Gemologist Association (AGA): Tucson and Las Vegas
- Gemological Institute of America (GIA): Symposium and various Alumni chapter locations
- Gemmological Association of Great Britain (Gem-A): London, England
- Scottish Gemmological Association (SGA): Edinburgh, Scotland
- National Gemstone Testing Center (NGTC): Beijing, China
- Canadian Gemmological Association (CGA): Toronto, Canada
- GemWorld conference: Chicago
- Christie’s: Hong Kong
- Sotheby’s: Hong Kong